Sunday, April 10, 2011

Yard Work

Those that know me, know how much I love yard work! Yes, I suffer for the next few days being sore, but to me it is so worth it. There is something so satisfying in seeing instant results from pulling weeds, planting bushes, trees and of course colorful flowers. Flowers just make people happy! They certainly make me happy. :)

I've thought many times while pulling weeds how much gardening is like our relationship with Christ. Before you can plant vegetables or any plants you must get rid of the weeds, or they will overtake your garden, be it vegetables or flowers. Just getting rid of the unsightly and messy weeds makes a marked improvement, but then when you plant flowers or vegetables oh how you are rewarded! Isn't that what Christ does for us? He helps to get rid of our "weeds" so He can "plant" wonderful things in us, the fruit of the spirit... Love, Joy, peace, Patience, Kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.

For me, pulling weeds is therapeutic. When I am angry or frustrated, it helps calm me. I do some great thinking while pulling weeds, it's a slow pace and there is always that instant gratification. Now sometimes the weeds are over-whelming and it's hard to make myself start cleaning them out. (like the bed at the end of our pool, I have not touched it this year, too overwhelming, it would take me all day just to make a dent) I'm glad God didn't get overwhelmed with all the "weeds" I've had in my life. I'm grateful He thought I was worth the effort to clean them out and plant a "garden" in me.

I hope God's "gardening" in me has brought someone joy, encouragement or kindness.

No comments: