Tuesday, March 8, 2011

NOW I KNOW

Wisdom is always equated with age…. Have you ever wondered why? It’s because as we go through life all the things we didn’t know before, we now know!

I was 17 and my boyfriend wanted me to meet his parents. We were meeting them at church on Easter Sunday then having lunch at their house. They lived in the nicer section of downtown and attended the First Presbyterian Church… the First of anything church, Methodist; Baptist… it doesn’t matter, that’s where the hoity toities go… They were good Presbyterians so sat near the back. Since I’m A.D.D. the back is never a good place for me… too much to look at. It just so happened that the woman two rows up from me directly in my line of vision of the preacher was wearing a hubcap on her head…. Well, that’s what it looked like to me. It was sleek and shiny gray. I’d been going to church all my life, so I knew it wasn’t polite to laugh while there was preaching going on, but the harder I tried NOT to, I did. My boyfriend’s mom shot daggers at me with her looks.. I finally excused myself and went outside, my boyfriend right at my heels. When he asked me what was wrong, I tried to explain about the woman with a hubcap on her head but my hysterical laughter made it difficult. He just blankly stared at me, saying he didn’t see anyone with a hubcap hat. His parents never did like me…

Now I know, the more you shouldn’t laugh at something; the harder it is NOT to.

One day I told my 3 year old son Ryan to get dressed because we were going to run errands with daddy. I was trying to get his little brother ready when Ryan came to me in a panic and crying. “Mommy, I can’t find my green baboon shirt.” What shirt I asked? “My green baboon shirt mommy, I have to have it to run errands”. I tried to give him another shirt to wear, but he was determined that it HAD to be the green baboon shirt. I had no idea what he was talking about; he didn’t have any shirts with a baboon or any kind of monkey on it. Still crying he went in our bedroom and came back with his daddy’s running shirt and shorts, which were green. That shed some light on what he might be talking about. Sure enough when I got his green tank top out of the dryer he was happy. When we got to the car he wanted to know why we were getting in the car to RUN. Finally, I understood why he thought he needed the Baboon shirt to RUN errands. I never did figure out why it was a baboon shirt.

Now I know… 3 years old have their own language.


As I mentioned earlier, I have Attention Deficit Disorder. My husband Ray does his best to play on that weakness at any given opportunity. He constantly tries to make me think I’ve forgotten to tell him things, or misplaced items. One day we were in the mountains on the motorcycle with some friends. We stopped at a biker joint to wait out a thunderstorm. While Ray dried the bike off and cleaned it up, I suited up. I was ready to go, but couldn’t find my helmet. I asked Ray where it was, he just stared at me. I asked him again, what did you do with my helmet? He patted his head and said, you can’t find your helmet? NO, What did you do with it? He called out to our friends, Lynn can’t find her helmet, I’m getting more irritated by the minute, everyone was ready to go including me, except for my helmet. I couldn’t believe he got Greg and Mickey involved in his little game. One last time I snapped, where is my helmet??? Once again Ray patted his head and said you still can’t find your helmet? Oh oh…. I gingerly reached my hand up and yep… right on my head was my helmet. Never mind I found it.

Now I know… Ray isn’t ALWAYS the one who hides my stuff sometimes I really lose it on my own.

Wisdom does come with a cost!

No comments: